COVID restrictions are easing off, summer has just arrived and now we have a major heat wave to contend with. Active by Nature has some strategies to help you stay active in this hot weather when undertaking a walk, Nordic walk, or hike with us. Here they are:
(1) Active by Nature experiences are larger offered early in the morning, when mountain coolness is present. Even on the hottest of hot days, the mountain environment provides us with cool air overnight, so early morning walks are best. Although 9:30 am is a popular start time, we are always happy to move a group booking to an earlier start time. A walking tour into the evening is another possibility. Not only are the trails much cooler early in the morning and again into the evening, but they are much less busy from a human perspective. However, they are busier from a wildlife perspective, as this is when wildlife tend to emerge from the cool of the forest into the meadows, where they are more easily spotted.
(2) The trails and walking paths used by Active by Nature tend to have significant shady sections. Indeed, all of the hiking trails used by Active by Nature start off with a foreseted walk and usually emerge into the sunlight near the turn around point and usually at much higher (and cooler) altitudes.
(3) Stay close to water. Join us for a waterfall walk. There are two to choose from. On the two hour Nordic walking tour, we can choose to walk up the east end of the Highline Trail, also known as the Three Sisters Creek trail, to a delightful little waterfall that has formed where an old dam was once functional. It is a shaded walk all the way to this refreshing spot. There is a log picnic table located nearby, beside the cascading creek. The shaded hike to Troll Falls involves seeing several waterfalls along a cascading mountain creek. The second waterfall you can actually walk right behind and cool yourself off by getting a little wet with ice cold water!
The turn around point for the Grassi Lakes hike is, of course, the Grassi Lakes, a very refreshing destination indeed!
Another two hour option is a walk or Nordic walk from downtown to Quarry Lake, where we would take a break after doing a 1 km lap of the picturesque lake. That would give you time for a quick dip. But beware.... the water is always c-c-c-cold!
Both the Quick-Start Nordic walking session and the three hour Three Sisters Pathway Walk spend a considerable amount of time walking alongside water: the Bow River, Spring Creek and Policeman's Creek. An ice cold beverage or an ice cream treat await you at the turn around point of the Three Sisters Pathway, before we hop on the bus to bring us back to downtown Canmore.
(4) Join Active by Nature to a hike that goes up in elevation. Usually, the higher you get, the cooler it gets. The Hike to the saddle of Ha Ling is a good example. Often on a summer's day, you need to put on an extra layer or two or even a hat and gloves. It is usually very windy. This is not guaranteed in the middle of a heat wave, however. But at an elevation of 2000 metres, it will definitely be cooler than in Canmore, which is at around 1300 metres. More than half the distance along the trail is on a forested trail. If you select the Ha Ling Half, the entire hike is in the forest until you emerge at the turn around point: the scenic lookout. The Chester Lake hike, with an elevation gain of about 300 metres, finishes at an elevation of 2200 metres, which is higher than the saddle of Ha Ling. Pockets of snow often line the far shore of Chester Lake until well into summer time. The hike to Burstall Pass reaches the highest elevation of any Active by Nature tour, topping at around 2400 metres, with glaciers within view a short distance away. Much of this hike is along forested trails, or crossing over a braided channel of which requires switching into water shoes or sandals and getting very cold feet!
(5) Last but not least, join Active by Nature and Canmore Raft tours for a two-activity adventure. Experience an energetic one hour walk with Active by Nature and be delivered to the boat launch to embark on a refreshing and relaxing one hour float down the Bow River with Canmore Raft Tours. This is the ultimate beat-the-heat way to get in your physical activity quotient for the day and top it off with a super cool reward! The walk and float package is offered several times throughout the day on Tuesdays or Thursdays. Other dates and times can be arranged by appointment.
In addition to these strategies employed by Active by Nature on our guided experiences, here are some other tips to help you stay cool and active on your hot summer outings:
Have a great summer everyone! Stay active, by nature, stay cool and have a superb summer. It will be gone before you can bat an eye!
What to wear & bring (Spring, Summer, Fall):
What to wear & bring (Winter):
It’s as easy as 1-2-3! Simply click the "Book Now" button, select your preferred date to check availability, fill in your personal details and then make a secure payment via credit card. The system will automatically send you a confirmation of your session with the relevant details.
Liability waivers are a necessary part of any commercial activity experience. I recommend that you take the time now to review this legal document that you will be required to sign before we start our clinic or walk together:View the Waiver
Your Health & Physical Activity Readiness:
We ask guests who are experiencing cold symptoms and symptoms of COVID-19 to stay home and practice self-isolation under the direction of the appropriate governing body. For almost everyone, the benefits of physical activity far outweigh any risks. For some individuals, special advice from a Qualified Exercise or health care provider is advisable before becoming more active. This questionnaire is intended for all ages – to help move you along the path to becoming more physically active.
Please review this Questionnaire if you have concerns about your health or fitness level for participating in Nordic walking.
Full refunds are given if a cancellation is received 24 hours or more prior to the clinic or tour date. No refunds are given with less than 24 hours notice. Clinics/tours go rain or shine. If the weather is extreme, then it may be cancelled with a full refund given.
Parking is available on-street or in public lots throughout Canmore. It is a good idea to arrive early on busy days to locate suitable parking.
Restrooms are available at the Malcolm hotel in the lobby.
Public restrooms are available within a short walk:
Public pit toilets are available at all trailheads.
Where to meet:
Starting locations will vary seasonally with instructions included in your booking confirmation.
Parking options will vary by location with details included in your booking confirmation.